French Onion Soup Recipe
French Onion Soup
A friend of mine gave me this french onion soup recipe to dispel the myth that southerners don't have class. Okay I must admit that you won't find this soup recipe in many southern collections or on southern dinner tables every night.
But every now and then we like to get dressed up all fancy and this is just one soup recipe we use for special occasions.
Despite the recipes rich taste, this soup recipe is simple to prepare and cooks up in just under 20 minutes.
Therefore, if you're a fan of soup and are short of time this soup recipe is ideal.
This recipe French onion soup recipe serves 4.
Here is the soup recipe for your enjoyment.
French Onion Soup
You will need the following ingredients and cooking utensils for this recipe:
- 1-1/2 quarts (6 cups) beef broth
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of french bread, 1/2 inch thick
- 1-1/4 cups grated Swiss cheese
- minced parsley
Cookware and Utensils:
- large soup or heavy bottom stock pot
- measuring cup
- sauce pan
- 4 oven proof bowls
- In a large soup pot, simmer beef broth over low heat.
- Add butter to a sauce pan. When butter is melted, add onions then cook and stir until onions are clear and soft. Transfer onions to soup
- Cover soup pot with lid and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until onions are tender. Add wine and salt and pepper to taste during the
last 2-3 minutes of simmering.
- While onion soup is simmering, pre-heat oven under the broil setting.
- Place sliced bread into oven proof soup bowls. Next pour onion soup over the bread and top with grated Swiss cheese. Place bowls on top
oven rack and broil until cheese begins to bubble, about 2 minutes. Before serving sprinkle with parsley.
This recipe provided courtesy of https://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/
I'm sure you'll enjoy this Recipe.