Shepherds Pie Recipe
A One Dish Casserole Favorite
This is a traditional shepherds pie recipe prepared with ground beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, carrots, peas and cheese. What I like most about this nutritious shepherds pie dish is that you get everything all at once: carbohydrates, dietary fiber, and protein.
Growing up, shepherds pie was also a family favorite.
Shepherds pie is a soul food and southern favorite which is a variant of the popular English dish that uses lamb or mutton as the meat ingredient.
The process of preparing shepherds pie is simple.
The bottom of your casserole dish is lined with meat which is topped first with vegetables, then gravy, mashed potatoes and cheese.
Then just pop this layered dish in the oven and watch the magic happen.
This really is a simply and easy recipe that you will enjoy preparing and definitely love to eat. Trust me on this one.
Shepherds Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 stick butter (4 tablespoons)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup cold milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas or green beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium to large pot, boil potatoes over medium-high heat until tender. Remove pot from heat and drain off water. Mash potatoes with
butter, add salt and pepper to taste.
- While the potatoes are cooking, cook and stir ground beef, onions and garlic in a large saucepan until beef is browned and onions are
translucent. Remove from sauce pan and set aside.
- In a measuring cup, mix together milk and cornstarch. Add beef broth and Worcestershire sauce to saucepan and bring to boil. Slowly add
in milk and cornstarch mixture to make gravy. Stir until gravy thickens and then remove from heat.
- Next it's time to layer your casserole dish. First, spray casserole dish with cooking spray. Next place beef mixture in bottom of dish,
then layer first with mixed frozen vegetables, second with gravy, third with mashed potatoes and final sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
Remember presentation is key so don't just slop on the layers, make them appealing.
- Bake shepherds pie uncovered on 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-45 minutes until topping is puffed and browned.
This recipe provided courtesy of https://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/
If you're thrifty or a penny pincher you can use leftover ingredients for this recipe as well.
Return from Shepherds Pie Recipe to Beef Recipes page