A Sweet Potato Pie Recipe For All To Enjoy
Sweet Potato Pie
Do you love delicious desserts too? If so, you have to try our sweet potato pie. It's a soul food and southern cooking dessert favorite.
A sweet potato dessert works well for holidays, family gatherings, and Sunday dinners. Best of all a pie made of sweet potato is great alternative to plain pumpkin pie.
I should know.
Since moving to the mid-west where pumpkin pie is the preferred dessert, I always get asked to make my sweet potato dessert pie for special occasions. Everyone says this pie is creamy, smooth, and taste great.
This southern dessert favorite will definitely appeal to your taste buds. For an extra treat, top your potato pie with whipped cream. Go ahead and try this delicious dessert today and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- 3 frozen unbaked 8 or 9 inch single crust pie shells
- 4 pounds uncooked and un-peeled sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup pure finely granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Cookware and Utensils:
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 cooking blender
- 1 stirring spoon
As always the key to great cooking is to be prepared and use quality ingredients.
- First, hand wash your sweet potatoes. After a complete washing, boil the sweet potatoes until they are tender. Once potatoes are tender drain and allow them to cool before peeling and mashing. Blend your sweet potatoes in mixing bowl with a blender to remove strings.
- While you are cooking the sweet potatoes go ahead and place your butter on the kitchen countertop and allow to soften.
- After the potatoes are ready, go ahead and preheat your oven to 350.
- Next cream the softened butter with both sugars. Mix in the blended sweet potatoes and continue to mix while adding the eggs one at a time. Finally, add your milk, vanilla extract, nutmeg and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Finally, pour mixture evenly into your three frozen unbaked pie shells. Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes at 350 degrees on your center oven rack.
Preparation Time = approx 1 hour and 40 minutes
Cooking Time = 1 hour and 30 minutes
Go ahead, give this easy dessert recipe a try and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Recipe courtesy of https://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/