Homemade Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
This strawberry shortcake recipe is not your traditional American
shortcake recipe in that this recipe uses sponge cake as the base. However you'll still enjoy the deliciously ripe strawberries and whipped
cream that you've grown accustomed to.
This homemade shortcake recipe takes some time to prepare, but the results are well worth your wait.
Below you'll find the recipe ingredients and cooking instructions for both the strawberry topping and sponge cake.
When you combine the whipped cream and ice cream (if desired) it makes for an excellent dessert that's loved by children and adults alike.
Try out this recipe for yourself, ONLY, if you're looking for a cool and delicious dessert treat.
Native In-Artice Ad
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Strawberry Sauce Topping:
- 4 cups frozen whole strawberries, thawed
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces confectioners sugar
- 7 egg whites
- 7 egg yolks
- 1-1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup whole milk, heated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup cake flour
- whipped cream
- ice cream (if desired)
Making the Strawberry Topping:
- Slice about 1/3 of strawberries into halves and set aside. Using a blender, puree about 1/3 of the strawberries and set aside. Leave 1/3 of strawberries whole.
- Place sliced and whole strawberries in a Tupperware container with lid then gently stir in lemon juice, vanilla extract and sugar. Next pour in pureed strawberries and mix well. Refrigerate strawberries for a couple of hours; overnight works best.
- This strawberry topping will keep for several days in the refrigerator. In addition to serving over shortcake, you can also serve this topping over ice cream, pancakes or waffles.
Making the Sponge Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly spray a 9x5x3 loaf pan with cooking oil and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, about 2 minutes and set aside.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, beat egg yolks well for about 2 minutes. Add sugar to yolks and stir well until mixture is lemon colored.
- Pour milk, vanilla flavoring and lemon juice into a measuring cup and heat until hot in microwave; heat to hot not until boiling. Add to egg yolk mixture and beat
- Next stir in cake flour; blending well. Finally stir in egg whites and also blend well.
- Pour sponge cake mixture into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in center of cake removes clean.
Serving the Strawberry Shortcake:
- Cut a suitable piece of short cake and top first with ice cream (if desired), strawberry topping and whipped cream.
- That's all there is to it. Now you know Southerners are no different than most Americans which mean we enjoy our strawberry shortcake.
This recipe provided courtesy of https://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/
Return from Strawberry Shortcake Recipe to Cake Recipes