Homemade Stewed Chicken Recipe With Drop Dumplings
This stewed chicken recipe with drop dumplings is a very hearty meal. I really enjoy preparing homemade stews and soups because I can control the ingredients. I always like to know what I'm eating so I like having the luxury of hand picking which ingredients I included in a stew or soup.
When cooking any stew or preparing any recipe for that matter, we always advice cooks to use the best of ingredients. By best we most often mean, hand picking vegetables and herbs that are locally grown or in season.
For chicken its a good idea to free range chickens because they are not filled with hormones and will taste much better.
As a one pot meal you could easily get away with only serving this chicken and dumplings meal to your family or guest. Trust me they'll leave the table with a full stomach. There is no need for vegetables on the side or bread, this stewed chicken dish will do the job all by itself.
Easy Stewed Chicken Recipe
- 3 to 6 pound stewing chicken (aka hen, boiling fowl or fowl)
- 1 small onion, thinly chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Cut chicken into serving portions and clean chicken by rinsing under cold running water. Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towels.
- Place prepared and cleaned chicken in large boiling pot. Cover chicken with water, add onions, salt and pepper and then stir. Place lid on pot and simmer over low heat until chicken is tender about 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Throughout cooking remove any foam that develops.
- In a medium bowl, form dumpling dough by mixing together flour, baking powder, salt, parsley and milk. Drop batter by teaspoon into pot containing chicken. Cover with lid and cook covered for an additional 20 minutes.
This recipe provided courtesy of https://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/
To serve stew, spooning chicken with broth and drop dumplings into a soup bowl.