Fix Some Mouthwatering
Southern Fried Catfish
Southern Fried Catfish
People living in southern states love fried catfish. I agree, but don't ask me why, they just do. Served up with coleslaw, hush puppies and french fries, catfish has never been more popular.
Today's popularity can be greatly contributed to the farm raised catfish industry. Because of the catfish farms that have popped up all around the country, catfish is now readily available for eating.
Now you can buy fresh catfish in just about all grocery stores and supermarkets. This obviously benefits soul food and southern cooks who are looking to cook up some mouthwatering catfish dishes. Here is a catfish recipe for your enjoyment.
Fried Catfish Recipe
- 6-8 catfish fillets
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups cracker meal or crushed saltine crackers
- 1 cup vegetable oil
Cookware and Utensils:
- 1 cast iron skillet or large heavy skillet
- 1 utting board
- 1 rolling pin
As always the key to great cooking is to be prepared and to use quality ingredients.
- Rinse fillets under running cold and then thoroughly pat dry with paper towels.
- Make your seasoning mixture by combining garlic powder, black pepper, seasoned salt, onion powder and paprika in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle seasoning mixture over both sides of the fillets. Next apply cracker meal by gently pressing the meal on both sides of your fillets.Place fillets on a plate and refrigerate for about 1 hour to allow meal to coat properly.
- Heat vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet or large heavy skillet. Fry the fillets on both sides until they are golden brown, turning only once. Allow fillets to drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
Enjoy Your Catfish.
This recipe provided courtesy of https://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/
Are you looking for a side dish recommendation to serve with your catfish? If so, we can help you out.
You can serve your catfish with hush puppies, coleslaw and french fries.
You can also make your own cracker meal. Put saltine crackers into a zip-lock bag. Using a rolling pin, roll over the saltine crackers until they crumble. A food processor can also be used to crush the saltine crackers.
Want more catfish, fish and seafood recipes? For a little variety, try these catfish recipes.
Or you can visit the Catfish Institute for more catfish recipes.