Hush Puppies Are Traditionally Served With Fried Catfish - They'll Also Keep The Dogs Quiet
Hush puppies are a very interesting name for the fried bread that is routinely served at fish fries along side of fried fish. Southerners just can't seem to get enough of these little breaded delights.
I don't know the true origin of how the name came about. The consensus among cooks is that the name refers to keeping dogs quiet. Whatever the case, the hush puppy is the side dish of choice at many fish fry's. If you get caught not serving these your guest will probably be upset.
You just can't sit down at a southern table and eat fried catfish without having this breaded food favorite. Truth be told, the Hushpuppy and fried catfish go together like soap and water. You can have one without the other, but it's strongly discouraged ...just a little humor.
The fried bread recipe that follows is simple to prepare and easy to cook.
Hush Puppies Recipe
This southern bread recipe calls for some very simple ingredients that I'm sure you have around your kitchen including:
- 2 cups yellow corn meal
- 2 tablespoons flour
- general all purpose
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 to 1 whole cup milk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- vegetable oil
You'll also need the following cookware and kitchen utensils in addition to the previously listed recipe ingredients:
Cookware and Utensils:
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 kitchen knife
- 1 deep fryer or deep skillet
As always the key to great cooking is to be prepared and to use quality ingredients.
Preparation of Batter
- In a mixing bowl combine corn meal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Blend in eggs and 1/2 to 1 cup milk. The batter should be thick enough to easily drop from a teaspoon into hot cooking oil.
- Next add finely chopped yellow onions to batter and mix thoroughly. Allow batter to set while cooking oil heats.
Cooking the Batter
- Start off by heating vegetable oil in a deep fryer or deep skillet to 375 degrees. Add enough cooking oil to allow the hush puppies to float,
about 3 inches.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls into the hot vegetable oil and fry until golden brown. Drain grease on paper towels and serve immediately.
- That's all there is to this recipe. See I told you the recipe was simple to prepare and easy to cook.
This recipe provided courtesy of https://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/
This delicious hush-puppies recipe is best served with fried catfish,
cole slaw and French fries.
Okay, now that you have recipe in hand it's time that you give it a try. Go shopping for the ingredients and then get into the kitchen and prepare this food item.