Southern Fried Chicken That Melts In Your Mouth
Southern Fried Chicken
Who doesn't love southern fried chicken? If you like fried chicken try out our mouthwatering alternative to crispy fried chicken.
Crispy fried chicken is everywhere. You have to look long and hard to find chicken that's southern fried. Today nine times out of ten if your get chicken from a restaurant it will be crispy.
What happened to that mouth watering moist southern-fried chicken? It was replaced for convenience. We live in a fast pace society, with time being our most valuable resource. Why labor for hours in the kitchen when you don't have to?
It's easier and much faster to drop the chicken into lard or vegetable shortening and forget about it until the meat is done. This may be true, but you sacrifice taste for convenience.
The fact that you're looking for a southern fried chicken recipe tells me that you're not looking for shortcuts. Try this recipe if you want to sacrifice convenience for good eating.
Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds of chicken, cut up, ready to cook
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons of seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 2 tablespoons unsalted meat tenderizer
- 1 cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoon onion powder
Cookware and Utensils:
- 1 large cast iron skillet
- As always the key to great cooking is preparation and quality ingredients.
- Clean chicken and pat dry with paper towels. It's best to season your chicken the night before you plan to cook. Form your seasoning mixture by combining seasoning salt, garlic, meat tenderizer, cayenne pepper and onion powder. Generously sprinkle your entire chicken. Ensure the seasoning is applied to all sides. Place seasoned chicken in refrigerator overnight.
- Take your chicken out of the refrigerator about 5-10 minutes before you start cooking. After your 5-10 minute wait, coat each piece of chicken with flour.
- Over medium-low heat, melt butter and heat vegetable oil in a skillet large enough to hold all of the chicken. Fry chicken over medium low heat until browned on one side. Turn chicken over and brown the other side evenly. Once the grease cooks off and gets absorbed by the chicken add a couple tablespoons of water (this makes the chicken moist). Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
This recipe provided courtesy of https://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/