by Mollie Montes
Pumpkin Orange Chiffon Pie
For this recipe Use a graham crust and chill before serving.
2 eggs, separated
2/3 cup water
1 envelope (1 scant tablespoon) unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1 cup orange juice
1 cup pureed pumpkin
1. In small saucepan combine egg yolks and water. Sprinkle in gelatin. Let mixture stand 5 minutes to soften gelatin. Add 1/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger; stir ingredients to blend thoroughly.
2. Cook mixture over very low heat stirring constantly for several minutes until gelatin melts (Don't let yolks cook into a mass).
3. Transfer mixture into a medium to large bowl. Stir in orange peel, orange juice and pumpkin blending ingredients thoroughly.
4. Chill mixture stirring occasionally until setting begins (mixture forms soft mounds when dropped from a spoon). In clean bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining
1/4 cup brown sugar until mixture forms stiff shiny peaks. Gently fold egg whites into pumpkin mixture blending ingredients well.
5. Pour filling into a chilled graham cracker pie crust. Chill pie in refrigerator until filling is firm (at least 4 hours).
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Family Recipe Contest.