The authentic recipe is in response to someone who asked "how do you make Mexican cornbread?". First off, I must say that this recipe is not as hard to make as you might think. In fact the recipe is super easy to prepare and the cornbread with come out tasting absolutely delicious.
I prepare this recipe a few times a year and especially like to bring this dish along to family gathers and serve it right beside all the other favorite foods.
Are you ready to prepare some Mexican cornbread that is soft, mouthwatering, and deliciously good? Well let's get started with the recipe below.
This recipe was submitted by an anonymous visitor on November 17, 2009.
1-1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup corn kernels
2 jalapenos (diced)
1/8 cup onions (diced)
1 lime (juiced)
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons butter
One 8" or 9" cast-iron skillet
Now Follow the directions for fixing this Mexican Cornbread Recipe.
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Soak corn and onions in the lime juice.
3. Put oil into skillet, being sure to coat entire inner surface of skillet, and then place skillet into warming oven. (This achieves 2 goals: The oil is thinned prior to adding it to the batter, and the skillet is already hot when you add the complete mixture, ensuring a crisp outer edge.)
4. After 15 minutes strain corn and onion from lime juice.
5. Mix together all dry ingredients. Mix in the milk, eggs, corn, jalapenos, and onions.
6. Making sure the skillet and oil are quite hot, but not smoking (about 5 minutes in the warming oven), steadily pour and stir in the hot oil into the rest of the batter. You want to stir as the oil is being poured, or you may risk burning the batter.
7. Pour the batter into the now hot pan. If you're lucky, it will spatter as it hits the hot iron.
8. After batter is in pan place into oven about 20-24 minutes. The top should be golden-brown and cracking a bit from rising. After taking it out of the oven and while still hot spread the butter and drizzle the honey over the top.
9. Allow the cornbread enough time to soak the honey and butter in before serving.
For a different twist try adding an can of Rotel tomatoes and browned and drain ground pork or beef. I hope you enjoy my Mexican Cornbread Recipe