Southern Corn Bread Recipe
Image Flickr/Arnold Gatilao
Eating corn bread with dinner has long been a southern favorite. Don't believe me? Just visit any southern dinner table during any family gathering. There's sure to be some good ole fashioned homemade bread sitting right their on the table for everyone to enjoy.
Cornbread is one of many comfort foods.
Add it to your meal and expect your dinner guess to leave your table satisfied and with a full stomach.
But don't expect any leftovers.
I say this because cornbread makes you want to eat more.
I'm like most southerners who have their own favorite recipe for making cornbread. Here is an easy recipe that I cook up, it's my favorite recipe. Who knows maybe it will become your favorite to.
Native In-Artice Ad
Old Fashioned Cornbread Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups yellow corn meal
- 1-1/2 cups general all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Cookware and Utensils:
- 1 cast iron skillet
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 mixing spoon
- 1 kitchen basting brush
As always the key to great cooking is to be prepared and to use quality ingredients.
- You can start off by greasing your cast iron skillet with a little vegetable oil. Set the oven to 425 degrees and heat your skillet. If
you don't have the cast iron skillet go head and use a iron baking pan.
- Blend corn meal, flour, baking powered and sugar in a mixing bowl. In another bowl Whisk together your milk, eggs and melted butter. Make the cornbread batter by mixing your dry and wet ingredients together thoroughly.
- Next using oven mittens, carefully remove the cast iron skillet from the oven. Using a kitchen basting brush or whatever you have
available coat the inside of your skillet with vegetable oil.
- Pour batter into the skillet and return to oven. Bake for about half an hour or until a wooden tooth pick inserted in the center comes
out clean. The finished product will be golden brown.
Enjoy your Southern Corn Bread.
This recipe provided courtesy of https://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/
I love to serve this recipe with collard greens and beans like lima, pinto, and black eyed peas. I also enjoy eating this type of bread with a hot bowl of chili and sometimes soup.
Return from Corn Bread to Bread Rolls or Biscuit Recipes