Bacon wrapped stuffed sausage fatty anyone?
Here is another great recipe submitted by one of our visitors named John from Mt. Vernon, Illinois. John had this to say, "Here is a bacon wrapped stuffed sausage fatty, aka, Smoking A Fatty or Smokin a Fatty. This won't last very long and you will make a lot of new friends!! So you might want to get started on your next batch of fatties, 1-2-3-4-5-6 or how ever many you will need to keep everyone satisfied."
1 lb rolled breakfast sausage, example is Jimmy Dean
4 tablespoons pork rub divided, recipe follows
2 green onions rinsed trim the length of the sausage roll
6 Little Smokey sausages split in half length ways
4 half inch square cubes of cheddar cheese
4 half inch square cubes 0f pepper jack cheese
4 slices green pepper rings split in half
1/2 cup brown sugar divided
2 tablespoons honey
1 lb sliced bacon
Great Grand Pappy's Pork Rub Recipe:
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons dried sweet basil
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground savory
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons dried mustard
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons kosher salt
To make pork rub, mix all ingredients well. Store leftover pork rub mix in a sealed mason jar.
Grill or Smoker
2-3 lb. soaked hickory wood chunks or chips
1. On a clean working surface remove the sausage from its plastic wrap. Split the sausage 3/4 the way through. Spread the split sausage open allowing you to stuff the ingredients inside.
2. Take 2 tablespoons of the pork rub and sprinkle it inside the sausage roll.
3. Place a green onion on each side of roll. Add the cheese cubes 4 on each side of roll. Add the Little Smokey's divided equally on each side. Lay in the green pepper strips. Add 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar.
4. While pressing down on the filling, begin closing up the sausage by working the sides up to meet each other. Once your fatty closes up, sprinkle on the rest of rub making sure you cover all of the roll. Lay the bacon out in a basket weave pattern, set the roll on the weave and roll up. Pat on the rest of the brown sugar; drizzle with the honey.
5. Preheat a smoker or grill. If using a grill set up for indirect heat. Heat grill or smoker to 230 degrees. Once the desired temp is reached place soak wood over the coals. Spray the cooking grate with non-stick spray. Then place the fatty on the grate closed the lid and adjust the vents to maintain the set temp.
6. Smoke for around 3 hours add wood as needed. Once the fatty has reached a internal temp of 170 degrees remove from smoker and let rest for 10 min.
Slice, eat and enjoy!