Homestyle Recipe For Smothered Pork Chops
This smothered pork chops recipe is packed with all the flavor you have grown to love as well as some mouthwatering onion gravy.
With comments like, "Your recipe for smothered chops is THE BEST I've ever made in my life!! The seasoning blend is pure perfection. The aroma of it can be smelled throughout my kitchen BEFORE I even start cooking the chops."You can easily see why I consider this to be one of those special recipes.
I have always thought that pork chops make for a delicious meal. This is definitely a soul food and southern cooking favorite. If you like pork chops, onions and gravy you have to try this recipe.
Smothered Pork Chops Recipe
- 4 pork chops, 3/4 to 1 inch thick
- 1 vidalia or sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup self rising flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
Cookware and Utensils:
- 1 large heavy or cast iron skillet
- 1 measuring spoonsv
As always the key to great cooking is to be prepared and to use quality ingredients. This recipe calls for 4 pork chops because that's about what you can fit into a standard frying pan. I recommend you double the recipe because smothered pork chops are so delicious that you will definitely want to eat leftovers.
- Start off by giving your pork chops a good rinsing in cold water. Next pat your pork chops dry with paper towels and set aside.
- In a small bowl form your seasoning mixture by combining and mixing together seasoned salt, garlic powder, black pepper and paprika.
- Rub about 3/4 teaspoon of seasoning on each pork chop. Next thoroughly coat each piece of meat with flour and set aside. Save all leftover
seasoning for later use in onion gravy.
- Heat vegetable oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot enough add pork chops and brown on each side for about three
minutes. Once your meat is browned remove it from the skillet and allow to cool on a plate covered with paper towels.
- Now it's time to form the onion gravy. Without removing any dripping add sliced onions to the skillet and cook until browned. Add
remaining flour to the skillet and a very small amount of water if necessary. Stir the onions and flour together until golden brown, paying
careful attention not to burn the gravy.
- Add two cups water to the onion gravy and stir. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Return pork chops to skillet, reduce heat to simmer,
cover and cook for about 1 hour. The meat is done when it's tender. Add additional season to taste if necessary.
This recipe provided courtesy of http://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/
Serve the smothered pork chops over cooked rice with your favorite vegetable side dish
and cornbread. Enjoy your meal.
Return from Smothered Pork Chops to Pork Recipes