|Back to Back Issues Page|
Enter the Soul Food Recipe Contest
October 21, 2007
Linnen here from SoulfoodandSouthernCooking.com. I hope all is well for you and that you're ready to feed your family some good cooking.
This month I've added several new recipes to the site which I want you to try and give me some feed back. Just head over to your kitchen and try out some of these recipes, you want be disappointed.
Please don't forget to write me and let me know how the recipes turn out for you. You can contact me by clicking on this link.
Enter the Family Recipe Contest to WIN A $25 GIFT CERTIFICATE
You ability to earn a $25 gift certificate has never been easier. All you have to do is share your favorite family recipe and you’re automatically entered for a chance to win.
Special Subscriber Only E-book
This months new recipes include.
1. Boneless Pork Chops
Boneless Pork Chops Recipe
4 to 6 thinly sliced boneless breakfast pork chops
1. Since these pork chops cook up so quick it's a good idea to go ahead and cook your side dishes before frying your pork chops. Try vegetables and rice, baked potatoes, or dressing along side your chops.
Let's cook up those chops.
2. Preheat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the frying pan. Gently sprinkle garlic powder and pepper into the oil. No go ahead, place pork chops into frying pan. Flip chops frequently for even browning and proper cooking. Fry meat for approximately four minutes per side.
3. When meat is browned and well done remove from pan. Drain on paper towels for a minute or two and serve with your favorite side items.
1 pound of lean ground beef, browned thoroughly and drained
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. While your oven is heating cook and stir ground beef in a skillet over medium heat until meat is thoroughly done. Drain cooked beef is a strainer and pour beef back into skillet. Next pour your diced tomatoes, refried beans and chili powder over the top of your cooked ground beef. Mix well, continuing to cook over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes until hot.
3.Spread your bean dip out over a slightly greased baking dish. Top with corn, tomatoes and cheddar cheese. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.
4. Serve bean dip hot with your favorite name brand corn chips.
Grilled Cheese with a Twist
12 slices of white or wheat bread
1. Preheat oven to broil.
2. Place six pieces of bread on cookie sheet. Sprinkle mozzarella and cheddar cheese over each slice. Top each peice of bread with another slice. Blend melted butter and garlic together and brush over the tops of each sandwich.
3. Sprinkle tops with Parmesan and oregano or parsley. Broil until golden and flip and repeat brushing and cheese sprinkling process. Broil until golden brown.
I like serving my grilled cheese with homemade tomato soup. Give it a try you just might like it too.
Best Nachos Recipe
1 pound of ground beef, cooked thoroughly
1. Heat oven to broil.
2. Start off by cooking ground beef according to taco seasoning directions. Drain ground beef and set aside. Spread tortilla chips evenly over a large cookie sheet, don't worry about overlapping.
3. Next mix beans and ground beef together, then spoon mixture evenly over the chips. Sprinkle cheese on top of tortilla chip and beef mixture. Place in oven and broil until cheese is melted and edges of the chips begin to turn light brown.
4. Using a spatula place cheese and beef nachos onto individual plates or you can use a serving patter. Top each nacho with salsa, a sour cream and green onions.
5. A variation of this dish is to replace beef with chicken to make chicken nachos. Or could forgo the beef and chicken and just use cheese for the perfect cheese nachos.
Baked Chicken and Biscuit Recipe
2 cups boxed biscuit mix
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. While oven is preheating, prepare biscuit dough by blending together mix and milk. Turn your dough out on a lightly, floured surface. With rolling pin roll dough to about a 1/2-inch thickness and using a cutter cut into 2 1/2-inch diameter biscuits. Reserve the remaining dough for topping.
3. Next in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and then add flour. Stir butter and flour mixture constantly until well blended and bubbling begins. Add spices, half-and-half and chicken broth. Continue to cook and stir until sauce thickens.
4. Finally, place chopped onions, cooked chicken and mixed vegetables into a greased 2-quart casserole dish. Pour sauce over the top and then place biscuits on top, completely covering the pie. Brush top of biscuits with milk.
5. Bake biscuits at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until biscuits are golden brown and done, about 35 minutes.
Enjoy your chicken and biscuit dinner!
Quick and Easy Dip Recipe
1 large bunch of green onions, chopped
1. First let me say this onion dip is very easy to prepare.
2. Start off by adding your green onions and milk to a blender, and blend until smooth. Next place cream cheese in a medium bowl and using a hand blender blend until mixture becomes smooth.
3. Add the remaining ingredients consisting of crushed chicken and beef bouillon cubes, garlic powder, salt/pepper to taste and Worchester Sauce.
4. Blend well taste and adjust seasoning as required. Refrigerate dip for a minimum of 4 hours.
5. Serve with your favorite raw vegetables. If you'd like to you can also serve with crackers.
Spinach Party Dip Recipe
1 (10 oz.) package of frozen chopped spinach
1. Place frozen spinach in a microwave safe container and thaw out in the microwave. Remove spinach and squeeze out excessive water.
2. In a medium mixing bowl mix spinach and remaining ingredients together, well.
3. Spoon prepared dip into a hollowed, un-sliced loaf of bread. Preferably pumpernickel or rye bread because this works best.
4. Serve dip with tortilla chips, chunks of bread or crackers.
Your're probably wondering why I call this a party dip? One night we had some guest over and we ran out of appetizers.
My son mentioned I should fix his favorite spinach recipe. I did and the rest is history. The dip is now a party favorite that I fix all the time.
Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
1 package of frozen or ready-to-bake rolls
1. Preheat oven to package directions.
2. Remove rolls from package and place in a round cake pan. In a small bowl, blend together butter, sugars and cinnamon.
Drizzle mixture over rolls and bake according to package directions. Let cinnamon rolls cool for a couple of minutes and then devour.
Homemade Spaghetti Recipe
1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
1. Place ground beef into a medium sauce pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until browned. Drain beef and set aside. Next add olive oil to a sauté pan, heat pan over medium heat. Lightly sauté yellow onions and green peppers.
2. Pour tomato sauce, tomato paste and diced tomatoes in a large sauce or simmering pan. Add sautéed vegetables, grown beef and begin to simmer. Next add in garlic, oregano, black pepper and salt to taste. Continue to Simmer spaghetti sauce over the lowest heat setting until sauce comes to a boil.
3. Serve over your favorite pasta along side cheese garlic toast.
Pork Breakfast Taco Recipe
1 cup of hash brown potato mix (with onion)
1. In a medium mixing bowl, blend together hash browns, water, and 3/4 teaspoon of salt, mixing thoroughly. Let hash brown mixture stand uncovered for 15 minutes. After which time drain excess water from hash browns.
2. While hash browns are draining, in a medium-sized skillet cook and stir the pork sausage over medium heat until well browned. Remove sausage from skillet leaving some grease behind for cooking the eggs. Drain pork sausage in a strainer or on paper towels.
3. Now, add eggs to skillet and begin to scramble. Once again place sausage in the skillet and cook eggs until done. Spoon mixture evenly on warm tortillas. Top with cheese and mild or hot salsa.
4. This pork sausage recipe will easily feed a family of four. Serve with orange juice.
Tuna Casserole Recipe
3 cups macaroni noodles, cooked
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions, rinse and drain. Rinse pot and place cooked noodles back into pot.
3. In a small skillet, sauté onions in butter over medium-low heat. Add tuna, milk, soup and sautéed onions to macaroni, mix well. Place mixture into a 2 quart baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
Talk with you next month.
|Back to Back Issues Page|