How to Cook Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens
If you love collard greens you'll definitely love cooking turnip greens and mustard greens. When combined together, turnip and mustard greens make for a much tastier meal than collard greens.
Cooking a nutritious vegetable like turnips and mustard greens are just as simple as cooking up the collard greens
that Grandma use to make.
To start with you just head to your local grocery store or farmers market to pick up a bundle of turnips and mustard greens. While
you're there be sure to get yourself a ham hock, salt pork, or bacon. Choose whichever meat you prefer, the choice is yours to make. Armed with
your fresh ingredients you're ready for the recipe.
Greens Recipe for Turnips and Mustards
- 1 ham hock
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1 pound turnip greens
- 1 pound mustard greens
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Before we start cooking the greens let get the ham hock cooking. Rinse ham hock and place in pot and cover with water. Bring water to a
rolling boil. Reduce heat to just above simmer and let meat cook for 1-1/2 to 2 hours until meat is tender. Add additionally water if necessary.
- While the ham hocks are cooking go ahead, cut and clean your greens. Remove greens from the stems. Place several greens in layers
(stack several leaves on top of each other) and roll them up. Using a cutting board and knife cut leaves into 1 inch thick strips.
- Next rinses cut greens several times in cold water to remove dirt or sand.
- When your ham hocks start to become tender, add the greens, bouillon cube, chopped onion, and sugar to pot. Bring water to bowl. Reduce
heat to simmer and cook for 1-2 hours until greens are tender. Stir your greens often to distribute the ham hock and increase the flavor.
Once your greens began to become tender add salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe provided courtesy of http://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/
Serve your collard greens with corn bread and your
favorite meat dish.
You do not have to join or sign-in to leave a comment!
Return from Turnip Greens to Vegetable Recipes