Red Beans and Ham Hocks That
Taste Just Like Grandma's Cooking
Recently I got the taste for some red beans and ham hocks which I have loved so much since my early years. Excited I started toward my kitchen eventually realizing I'd need to look over my collection of recipe cards and books to be sure I had all the necessary ingredients.
I looked through my recipe cards and books but no luck.
Then I searched all throughout my house looking in the usual spots where I have stashed recipes in the past.
I looked everywhere but was not able to find the recipe.
So that got me to thinking about the last time a prepared ham hocks and red beans. I thought to myself, If I remember correctly the recipe contained some very simple ingredients.
In addition to meat and
beans I remembered some other ingredients including onions, garlic,
green peppers. and bay leaves.
Red Beans and Ham Hocks
- 1 pound dried red beans
- 2 small ham hocks, smoked
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pepper pod, red or green
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash and prepare the red beans for cooking. You have a few options. You can soak the beans overnight, you can soak the beans for 2 to 3 hours, or you can quick soak the beans. The method I prefer based on results is to quick soak. To quick soak, place beans in a large pot and cover with two inches of water. Bring water to a boil and then allow beans to boil for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes of boiling remove beans from heat source, then cover pot with lid and let the beans stand for at least one hour before cooking.
- Beans will expand after you quick soak and let them stand for one hour. When you are ready to cook beans add in your ham hocks and then add enough water to completely cover the ham hocks and beans. Cover pot with lid and turn up the heat to medium-high. Once water begins to boil turn heat down to low, add remaining ingredients consisting of onions, garlic, green pepper pod, and bay leaf then allow to ham hock and red beans to simmer.
- Continue to slowly cook ham hocks and red beans on low at a simmer for 2 hours until meat and beans are tender.
Before serving remove ham hocks and beans from pot. Place beans first in a serving dish and then place ham hocks on top. I like to serve my red beans and ham hocks over steamed white rice, with corn bread and a meat.
Return from Red Beans and Ham Hocks to Bean or Legume Recipes