Homemade Red Velvet Cake Recipe
Baked From Scratch
This Red Velvet Cake is completely made from scratch...yes the cake and icing to. Also, this dessert cake is perfect for holidays and special occasions such as birthdays, retirements, and promotion parties.
I assure you that this cake recipe is as easy to prepare and bake as any store bought box cake and icing.
When I was growing up in Georgia this was my mom's favorite recipe for two reasons.
She always had the cooking ingredients on hand and pecans were plentiful because there were pecan trees everywhere.
If you're ready for a rewarding challenge, put away your boxed cake mix and store bought icing and give this red velvet recipe a try.
I expect after trying it this way you'll no longer want to prepare and eat a store bought cake again. Only time will tell.
Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- 2 cups pure fine granulated sugar
- 2 cups general purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup butter milk
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 bottle red food coloring (1.5 fluid oz)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 box confectioners sugar (16 oz)
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 stick margarine (8 tbsp or 1/2 cup)
- 1 large cream cheese (8 oz)
Cookware and Utensils:
- 2 stainless steel cake pans (8 or 9")
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 stirring spoon
- 1 cooking bender
As always the key to great cooking is to be prepared and use quality ingredients.
How to Prepare Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine and stir sugar, flour, baking soda and salt into mixing bowl. Next add your wet ingredients (vegetable oil, butter milk, eggs, red food coloring, vanilla
extract, and white vinegar) one at a time, beating on low to medium
speed, continuously beating mixture thoroughly after adding each
- Spray or grease both pans with a light coat of vegetable oil to
stop sticking. Pour completed mixture evenly into your two single
layered cake pans. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees on your
center oven rack.
- Cake is done when wooden toothpick inserted into center of cake
comes out clean. Let cake cool completely before adding your homemade
How to Prepare Icing:
While the cake is cooling, here is how to make your Icing.
- Combine confectioners sugar and finely chopped pecans into a mixing bowl
and stir with spoon.
- Next add your softened margarine and cream cheese one at a time
into the mixing bowl containing the sugar and chopped pecans. Using a
cooking blender, mix thoroughly after each ingredient is added.
- Place icing into your refrigerator, since the icing should be applied to cake in a cold state.
Preparation Time = 50 minutes
Cooking Time = about 30 minutes
This recipe provided courtesy of http://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/
Enjoy your Red Velvet Cake.
Return from Red Velvet Cake to Cake Recipes