Potato Pancake Recipe
This potato pancake recipe is a southern favorite. Only just recently did I learn this is also a very popular Jewish dish called "Latkes or Latkas". I really
hadn't thought much about potato pancakes until I moved to Germany. I once again feel in love with these pancakes while living abroad in Europe.
You can serve potato pancakes just about anytime in a variety of ways. In Germany the potato pancake is a popular dish that is served topped with applesauce at
festivals. A Jewish couple I know loves to serve plain potato cakes with their baked roast dinner. I have also seen these tasty potato patties topped with cheese,
cinnamon, sour cream, sugar and of course catsup.
Here is the potato pancake recipe for your enjoyment.
Recipe for Potato Pancakes
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons, white vinegar
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 teaspoons butter
- Peel potatoes and grate using a food processor or grate the potatoes the old fashioned way by hand. Pour potatoes into a large pot, add vinegar, mix and cover with ice cold water. Now allow potatoes to soak until water is room temperature. When water reaches room temperature, drain potatoes using a kitchen strainer. Using paper towels or kitchen towel remove as much moisture from the potatoes as possible.
- Next grate your onions using a food processor or by hand. In a medium bowl, mix well the grated potatoes, onions, egg, cream, flour, baking soda, salt, pepper and
- Heat butter in a large heavy bottom saucepan or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. For each potato cake, drop two tablespoons at a time into frying pan and then flatten with pancake spatula. Cook potato cakes just like you would a pancake by browning on both sides, about 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Top with your favorite topping or just serve plain. Here is a very simple recipe for homemade applesauce,
just in case you find the idea of topping your cakes with applesauce appealing. Remember these can be served anytime, for breakfast, lunch or dinner as a side item.
This recipe provided courtesy of http://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/
You do not have to join or sign-in to leave a comment!
Return from Potato Pancake Recipe to Potato Recipes