I Love Soulfood!
by Eleanor Moyza
Hi: My name is Eleanor and I really do love Soulfood! My ex mother-in-law, now deceased would cook special meals all the time and she was a GREAT COOK! She started cooking at the age of 8 to help out her parents who worked in the cottonfields.
By the way, she was African American and a wonderful, sweet lady. I am Hispanic and I have tried to cook these meals for friends/family but they don't like most of the recipes.???
Bread Pudding: My special meals cooked by her was Bread Pudding (she would make it just for me because none of her children liked it except me and my father-in-law.
*Steamed Cabbage: Love it!
*Pinto Beans cooked with MEXENE Chili Powder and Cornbread!
*Mustard Greens and Spinach and Cornbread.
*Beef Pot Roast with potatoes, carrots and onions and cooked in a homemade graVY. I still cook that sometimes.But no one else likes the gravy. They don't know what they're missing.
* Brown gravy over white, steamed rice. I love it!
* Beef Steak or Pork Steak cooked with homemade brown gravy.
* Cabbage Rolls
* Spaghetti with chili sauce made with red BRICK CHILI (I can't find the Brick Chili anywhere)
* Her Cornbread Dressing for Turkey (mine doesn't come out just like hers, of course. She had that Special Touch).
* Enchiladas:The filling contained hamburger meat and pinto beans, green chili, onions, cheese and red enchilada sauce all over them). They were divine! I cook that once in a while.
This lovely lady is in Heaven now and I really do miss her and my father-in-law although I'm not married to their son anymore, who recently passed away also. I called her Mama and I called my Father-in-Law POPS. Really wonderful people.
One day I cooked greens and cornbread and pork steak and took it to work for my lunch. There was a black lady (African American) in the lounge eating her lunch. When she saw what I was eating, her eyebrows went up in surprise and she asked me, "Do you really like that?" I said, "I love it". haha
Thank you very much for allowing me to tell you my story. Please let me know if there is a SOULFOOD COOKBOOK with ALL the recipes in one, so that I can buy one if it's not too expensive. Please keep on adding your recipes.
God Bless You All at Soulfood.
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How?
Simply click here to return to Guestbook.