Brunswick Stew With Healthy Fixings
I was first introduced to Brunswick stew many years ago, but first
fell in love with the dish while attending college in Georgia. A friend
of mine, who just happened to be from Brunswick Georgia, made a mean side dish
of this now famous stew.
After making this dish several times, my friend proceeded to school me in the art of making Brunswick style stew.
The main ingredients which any good stew from Brunswick must contain include corn, Lima beans, onions, potatoes and tomatoes.
Traditional meats included in this great tasting dish include beef, chicken and pork.
Some people may eat this stew as as stand along meal, however, down south where I'm from the stew is usually served as a side dish at barbecues and cookouts. I have seen this stew served right alongside favorite sides dishes like potato salad, baked beans and macaroni and cheese.
Brunswick Stew Recipe
- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds stewing chicken (cut into 8-10 pieces)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 3 cups small potatoes, diced
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-1/2 cups Lima or butter beans, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup okra, diced
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
This stew recipe calls for chicken but you could easily substitute beef or pork if you desire to do so.
- Cut chicken into serving portions and clean chicken by removing fat then rinsing under cold running water. Pat chicken pieces dry with
- Place prepared and cleaned chicken in large boiling pot. Cover chicken with water, add salt and pepper and then stir. Bring water to boil,
cover with lid, reduce heat to simmer and cook until chicken is tender about 2 hours. Throughout cooking remove any foam that develops. Drain,
reserving chicken broth. Remove skin and de-bone chicken when it has cooled enough to touch. Finely chop chicken into small pieces and set aside.
- Clean out your pot then brown your yellow and green onions in bacon fat. Return
the chopped chicken and broth to the pot.
- Next add the remaining ingredients consisting of potatoes,
tomatoes, lima beans, corn, okra, sherry and Worcestershire sauce to the pot. Cover pot with lid and simmer over low heat, stirring frequently
for about an hour. Finally, add butter, stir and serve hot.
This recipe provided courtesy of http://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/
Remember like I said earlier, down south we like to serve our stew as a side item alongside barbecue, baked beans, potato salad,
coleslaw, corn bread and sweet iced tea.
Return from Brunswick Stew to Soup Recipes