Cream of Asparagus Soup
Creamy Asparagus Soup
Asparagus Soup, like most other soup recipes is fun to prepare. Asparagus when properly prepared for soup makes for some good eating.
I first tried this soup many years ago after claiming to a friend "I hate to eat asparagus".
My friend proceeded to make what he called soup of asparagus which really did change my opinion.
After enjoying his soup I decided to try the vegetable prepared several different ways and I now have no problem eating the veggie.
I often make this soup when asparagus is cheapest or on sale. You can usually find asparagus being sold at affordable prices doing the month of May when the vegetable is in season.
Try the soup recipe below for a delicious heart warming, tasty bowl of soup.
Soup of Asparagus
- 2 pounds asparagus
- 1 large Yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Rue
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- sea salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Prepare the asparagus by rinsing and cutting off the woody stems, then slice into 1 inch long pieces. Saute asparagus in butter for 10 - 15 minutes.
- While that is on the stove add the chicken stock, celery and dried thyme to a large pot. Turn on medium heat. Scoop the asparagus out of the pan with a slotted spoon and add it to the large pot. *Do not get rid of the excess butter.
- Next add the garlic and onion to the pan and saute in butter until onion is translucent. Add the mixture to the pot and simmer on medium - medium high heat for about 15 minutes.
- Now add rue and heavy cream, mix well and continue simmering for 5 - 10 minutes. Finally, add salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Mix well and serve.
This recipe provided courtesy of http://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/
Do you like this creamy asparagus soup recipe?