|Back to Back Issues Page|
Soul Food Digest Magazine Issue 03
August 01, 2007
This newsletter is only for soul food cooks just like YOU. Sent to you once a month,and only by request. Please feel free to pass on this issue of Soul Food Digest to anyone you think might be interested.
Review this months recipes now online at: Issue 03
This Months Recipes
Salisbury Steak with Gravy
1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
1. Throughly combine ground beef, onion, cooked rice, black pepper and egg.
2. Divide into six equal portions and then shape each into a 1-inch thick patties.
3. Coat a skillet with a vegetable oil and cook patties over medium heat about five minutes on each side. Set patties aside and keep warm.
4. Add mushrooms to skillet and cook for three minutes. Next add Worcestershire sauce, salt, and beef broth. Simmer over low heat for about ten minutes.
5. Return patties to skillet, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Place the patties on a platter and keep warm.
8. Make gravy by combining water and cornstarch and add to broth mixture, stirring well. Bring mixture to a boil and cook one minute more. Serve over patties along with cooked rice.
Fried Rabbit with Gravy
2 young rabbits, washed and dressed
1. Wash rabbits under running cold water then dry thoroughly. Cut rabbit's into several pieces.
2. Combine egg yolks and 1 cup of milk. Then gradually add 1 cup of the flour, then add the salt and beat until smooth.
3. Dip rabbit pieces into the batter and fry in hot fat until brown, or about 15 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat and continue cooking until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes, turning frequently.
5. To make gravy add the remaining flour to fat in pan, gradually add the remaining milk and stirring constantly, heat to boiling and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
6. Pour gravy over pieces of rabbit and serve over hot rice.
Special Crock Pot Recipes
BLACK BEAN SOUP
2 onion, chopped
1. In sauce pan, saute onions and garlic in butter until transparent.
2. Combine with beans, ham bone, celery, bay leaf, and 2 quarts water in the Crock Pot.
3. Cook on high, covered for 2 hours, then on low for 8 to 10 hours.
4. Remove ham bone and bay leaf.
5. Puree soup and return to pot. Add sherry, salt and pepper and heat through.
6. Serve in soup bowls garnished with parsley, and lemon slices.
ALL DAY MACARONI AND CHEESE
8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
1. Place the cooked macaroni in crockpot that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. 2. Add the remaining ingredents, all except 1 cup of the cheese, mix well.
3. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese on top, then cover and cook on low setting for 5 to 6 hours or until the mixture is firm and golden around the edges.
4. Do not remove the cover or stir until it has finished cooking.
BARBEQUE BEEF STEW
2 lbs. stew meat
1. Saute onion, pepper and garlic in oil.
2. Add salt, pepper, beef stock, tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce.
3. Cook in slow cooker/Crock Pot on low heat 8-10 hours.
4.Mix cornstarch, cold water and thicken before serving.
5.Serve beef stew over hot cooked rice.
Ask the Editor
Do you have a burning question to ask about anything related to cooking? Is so you can ask me by clicking this link ==> Submit Your Question
You can also send me a message if you have any other questions or comments.
P.S. Please be kind and share this great resource with all your family and friends. Feel free to forward this newsletter to whoever you feel could use the tips and information.
P.S.S. Be sure to tell them the can also subscribe by clicking on this link Subscribe Here
|Back to Back Issues Page|